Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sweet Surprises

In between changing diapers, wiping dirty faces, and making sandwiches three different ways for three different kids, it suddenly hits you...this is your life.  Really, it isn't as glamorous as you thought it might be.  The immaculate house with stunning cathedral ceilings, dramatic foyer, and the perfectly manicured lawn outlined by an equally flawless picket fence that you’d envisioned raising a family in, doesn't really match the one you actually own.  And the two doe-eyed, well-mannered children who’d scamper eagerly to your side when you called are a far cry from the three grubby-kneed, outspoken offspring that only occasionally glance up after you’ve screamed their names – first, middle and last - five times each.

Sometimes, most times, the vision we have for our future doesn’t materialize.  The best part about not having the ability to plan the rest of our lives is that we still are able to fully appreciate a good surprise.  For instance, I planned to take my two youngest children with me on a long road trip and had carefully scheduled the drive to coincide with nap time so that I could enjoy a quiet, relaxing ride.  Surprise!  Both children whined and fussed for nearly the entire ride until we got within earshot of our destination - at which time they both promptly fell fast asleep. 

Perhaps the best surprises of all were when my plans for children went so completely awry.  While I hadn’t actually picked out the names of my son and daughter before I even met my husband-to-be, I could precisely describe their golden locks, button noses, and striking blue eyes.  When the ultrasound for our first child revealed a bouncing boy, I was ecstatic!  How fantastic that our next child – a daughter, no doubt – would have an older brother to watch out for her.  When my second ultrasound exposed male genitalia, followed by a third with the same results, I was, um….surprised.

While I hadn’t even entertained the idea of having three young men in my life, I now can’t imagine my life any other way.  I may not get the chance to mull over which prom dress they look most stunning in, or help them paint their toenails on a lazy Sunday afternoon, but I am undoubtedly learning all there is to know about toads and frogs, how to get out grass stains, and which football plays are the most fun to execute.   The best part of all is that I am learning to step way outside my comfort zone on a daily basis, and I love every second of it.
My house is not spotless at any given moment, smelling of fresh baked pies and spring clean linens, nor is it a pricey colonial in the suburbs located in between Helpful Neighbor and Available Babysitter.  It happens to be the opposite of the images I conjured up as an 8 year old…contentedly messy, tucked off the beaten path next to nowhere, and absolutely perfect for family life.

The best laid plans thankfully rarely play out the way we intend for them to.  The reason for this is that life is not a road to be mapped and then plodded along.  It is a journey, full of unexpected curves and knolls that we must continually adjust and recalculate for.  Life keeps us on our toes, it keeps us from getting complacent…it keeps us surprised.


No comments:

Post a Comment